REAL NAME: Mthembeni Ndevu
STAGE NAME: Emtee
DATE OF BIRTH: (Born September 15, 1992)
HOW OLD IS EMTEE: 25 years old
NET WORTH: Estimated total net worth of Emtee is around $300 thousand
NATIONALITY: South African
STATE OF ORIGIN: Soweto, Gauteng
OCCUPATION: Rapper, Record producer
RECORD LABEL: Ambitiouz Entertainment
ALSO KNOWN AS: Emtee The Hustler
ASSOCIATED ACTS: AKA Wizkid Nasty C Fifi Cooper A-Reece
Born Mthembeni Ndevu better known by his stage name Emtee, is a South African rapper who is currently taking the lead in the South African hip hop scene. Emtee Who is currently signed under Ambitiouz Entertainment is best known for his debut hit single, “Roll Up”. He rose to fame after getting signed to Ambitiouz Entertainment, a South African independent record label. His debut album Avery was certified platinum by RISA on 1 July 2016.
Early Life, Background And Education
Mthembeni Ndevu who performs under the mononym “Emtee” was birthed in mid-sized town Matatiele, situated in the Eastern Cape, a coastal province in South Africa. The heavy weight South African rapper was raised in Rockville, Soweto, a major township in the Gauteng Province by his parents who are Christians. His undying passion for music originated during his primary school days, In an interview on South African channel ANN7, eMTee claims that he wanted to be a musician from first grade in primary school. Emtee climbed and performed on his first big stage at the age of 9, at a Yeoville primary school talent show. He officially started partaking in competitions during his primary school days.
When he clocked seventeen years old, things changed for the better as he making money from his musical efforts. The young Emtee eventually became an household around his neighborhood and the youngest choir conductor at Barnato Park High School, and won many provincial competitions as a member of his school’s marimba band. His parents gave him the necessary support that he needed and didn’t discourage him from following his dream like many parents would do.
Music Career Beginning And Rise To Fame
The young music star Emtee was very consistent and persistent in his struggle for success throughout his late teen years. He concentrated more on his musical career which later resulted in him not performing well in school. He choose not to repeat his final year although his pass was not good enough to enter him into the major universities in South Africa. Emtee has worked with several rappers and singers in the music world and collaborated with South African rapper Maraza on a song titled “In It To Win It” in 2010. They appeared on Channel O’s show “HeadRush”.
His debut hit single “Roll Up” was released in 2015 and it was produced by his producer Ruff . This song has remained his hottest single since the beginning of his musical career. According to the top South African rapper, the entire track was recorded and finalized in two hours. “Roll Up” received major radio play in Southern Africa and peaked at the top of DJ Speedsta’s hip hop chart on YFM. Emtee teamed up with Nigerian pop singer Wizkid and and South African rapper AKA on the remix of the song “Roll Up” , which eMTee called Roll Up Re-Up”. This latest version of the song was preferred to the original according to music lovers. He said that “Roll Up” was recorded within a tight schedule, because he and team were finalizing his debut album.
Emtee graced his debut award and nomination for the Song Of The Year award at the “2015 South African Hip Hop Awards”, due to the single “Roll Up”. The song “Roll Up” was up against Khuli Chana in the same category . It no longer news that Emtee and Khuli Chana are South African gold selling artists and they went head to head in the same category at Song Of The Year award at the 2015 South African Hip Hop Awards. Each made at least two appearances.
On December 4, 2015, eMTee’s debut album “Avery” was released on iTunes and to domestic music retailers and it was the next day after 2015 South African Hip Hop Awards. According to reports, eMtee is currently the third most played South African hip hop artist in the latter part of 2015 (10th most played artist overall). He has been able to achieve a lot from his music career only few years into his music business at his young age.
Emtee is non vegetarian . The young star is not a vegetarian he eats the non-veg as he likes the non-veg so much. Before fame, he was working as an instructor in other school and stats to make money for himself. While he was a member of his school marimba band, Emtee won many provincial prizes and he also became the youngest choir conductor.
10 things you probably didn’t know about the talented Emtee
1. He’s always looked up to AKA [Kiernan Forbes] and Wizkid [Ayodeji Balogun].
2. Emtee’s biggest accomplishment is when he won Song Of The Year at the annual South African Hip-Hop Awards.
3. His song Roll Up, was recorded in one day. We recorded Roll Up under pressure because the following day we had to release the project, so I recorded a lot of stuff and told my producer Ruff what to remove,” he said.
4. Emtee was born in Matatiele in the Eastern Cape but grew up in Rockville, Soweto
5. He became the youngest choir conductor at Barnata High School and won many provincial competitions as a member of his school’s marimba band
6. He started making money from his talents at the age of 17 when he worked as a music instructor at other schools. He used his earnings to record his first mixed tape, The Introduction.
7. Emtee is a recording artist, actor at Ambitiouz Entertainment and producer. CEO of African trap.
8. Emtee gets to sit at the table with the big guns of the music industry which includes Maggz, Kid X, Smashiz and more.
9. Emtee owes most of his success to the veteran rapper Maraza, Maraza took it upon himself to introduce Emtee to the music industry whenever he could.
10. Hip-hop is a tricky genre because it’s all about respect. As a young rapper it’s very hard to get that respect from of people who have been in the game longer than you have for a long time
- Released: December 4, 2015
- Label: Ambitiouz Entertainment
- Formats: CD, Digital download
- Released: September 15, 2017
- Label: Ambitiouz Entertainment
- Formats: CD, Digital download
- The Introduction (2008)
- D.I.Y (Do It Yourself) (2014)
- “Roll Up” (2015)
- “Pearl Thusi” (2015)
- “Roll Up (Re-Up) feat. Wizkid & AKA” (2015)
- “Amamenemene” (2016)
- “My People” (2016)
- “We Up” (2016)
- “Winning feat. Nasty_C” (2017)
- “Ghetto Hero” (2017)
- “Corner Store” (2017)
- “My Way feat. Sims” (2017)
- “Me & You feat. Tiwa Savage” (2017)
- “My Enemies” (2017)
Emtee welcomed a son in 2015 with his girlfriend out of wedlock. His debut album Avery was named after his son. His son is all grown up now and he’s been keeping him away from social media for his personal reasons.
Awards And Nominations
- WOn Song of The Year at South African Hip Hop Awards 2015
- Won Metro FM Music Awards and Best Remix and Best Hip Hop Album and Listeners Choice Award at Metro FM Music Awards 2016
- WOn Best Rap Album and Amstel Record of the Year at 2017 22nd South African Music Awards
- Won Best New International Act at 2016 BET Awards Viewers’ Choice
- Won Best male artiste in South Africa at 2017 AFRIMA Awards
- Emtee was nominated for Album of the Year and Male Artist of the Year and Newcomer of the Year at 2016 22nd South African Music Awards
- Nominated for Best New Artist at 2016 Metro FM Music Awards
SOURCE: www.bionetworth.com.ng, www.wikipedia.org and www.youthvillage.co.za